Chemical Development, Principal Scientist II - Process Chemist
- Charles City, Iowa
Chemical Development, Principal Scientist II - Process Chemist
Job LocationUS-IA-Charles City
At Cambrex, it’s our people that set us apart. We work locally and have an impact globally. We’re committed to attracting, nurturing and retaining a passionate and talented team of experts in our fast paced and growing company. You will be valued and recognized. We offer an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Life, LTD, generous vacation in your first year, sick time, and retirement savings!
Cambrex is the small molecule company that provides drug substance, drug product and analytical services across the entire drug lifecycle. Known for our scientific and manufacturing excellence and customer focus, we offer a range of career opportunities across our global network of locations. As a team, we share one goal – to improve the quality of life for our customers’ patients across the world.
Position is directed toward optimization of existing chemical routes and development of alternate chemistry toward key synthetic intermediates and APIs. Carries out multistep chemical synthesis and product isolation/purification operations in the laboratory, independently or as part of an integrated team. Chemist utilizes modern analytical tools to determine identity and purity of products made during projects. Communication with clients in regular team meetings; prepares R&D reports at the conclusion of projects.
- Design and carry out multistep organic syntheses, isolation, and purification of targeted products.
- Must possess a strong understanding of modern organic synthesis methodologies.
- Must have a thorough understanding of modern analytical and spectroscopic techniques and be able to interpret the corresponding data and spectra.
- Ability to conduct literature searches for specific target compounds and be able to use the literature to base a design of alternate routes to these compounds. Requires ongoing professional development to keep abreast of current scientific literature and discuss these findings with colleagues.
- Must demonstrate a proficiency to carry out laboratory syntheses and purification techniques on scales ranging from milligrams to several kilograms, and design and implement process modifications.
- Requires excellent time management with the ability to manage projects on-time without supervision.
- Ability to author and review comprehensive reports at the conclusion of projects for internal and customer use.
- Work closely with other chemistry and analytical laboratory staff to coordinate project activities and resource usage.
- Work to ensure that a spirit of teamwork and cooperation always exists within the group.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the company’s chemical hygiene plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Must demonstrate effective communication skills (both interpersonal and presentations). Participate in project team meetings with customers.
- Work closely with manufacturing and GMP operations to coordinate project related equipment and activities.
Ph.D. in Chemistry or related field with minimum 8 years of experience or M.S. in Chemistry or related field with minimum 12 years of experience or B.S. degree in Chemistry or related field with 16 years of experience in lab environment, pharmaceutical experience preferred.
Demonstrated ability to transfer processes to commercial scale manufacturing.
Excellent verbal and written communication/interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work in a diverse team environment are essential.
Organic Chemistry Knowledge: Strong understanding of advanced theories in Organic Chemistry/Process Development.
Cross Discipline Knowledge: Good understanding of the principles of cross-functional departments, including analytical chemistry and engineering.
GMP/Regulatory Knowledge: Strong understanding of the GMP landscape and fundamental understanding of the industrial regulatory landscape; Good understanding of site SOPs and regulatory CMC concerns and can answer client questions that can help to develop their clinical package.
Instrumentation: Advanced knowledge of HPLC, NMR, MS, automated reactor platforms, in-situ reaction monitoring, and ability to train and troubleshoot problems with equipment (and help others).
Communication: Excellent written and oral communication skills, often leading technical calls with clients.
Problem Solving: Demonstrated ability to perform root cause analysis and solve problems.
Time Management: Very good organizational skills and time management. Able to work on several key items at once including two or more medium complexity projects at once.
Leadership: Demonstrated record of mentorship and development of peers, partner lines and ability to support initiatives within the department.
Technical Documentation and Review: Strong ability to generate key technical documents with minimal RFT issues and to review documents for others. Basic ability to write new SOP, keep current lab notebook while practicing GDP.
External Influence: Strong demonstrated ability to independently steer client or technical teams; ability to redirect and point out scope change; good ability to work with site leadership team and steer local initiatives.
Industry Credibility and Rapport: Demonstrated reputation as a leader within the Cambrex chemical development community. Good publication record, where possible, and strong contributions to the Cambrex portfolio.
Operational Excellence: Demonstrated ability to participate and share leadership on local OE initiatives.
Change Orientation: Demonstrated contribution of input and ideas for larger Cambrex system level changes.
Cambrex is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Cambrex Charles City offers an extraordinary opportunity, a competitive salary, and an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision care and prescription, life, LTD, STD; 401(k) with employer match; tuition reimbursement; and the ‘Arthur I. Mendolia Scholarship Program.’ Relocation assistance will be offered for this position.
Job ID: 340506080